Since it's not like they're going to let the name go to waste, every so often Marvel will try to publish a
Defenders comic. I think the most
recent incarnation is ending with #12; but the Defenders might be a tough sell, since even when there's a clear idea of what the series is about, readers seem to want it to be like the old, random, original series. Except when they don't...
For example, I picked up
Defenders #6,
#7, and
#8 the other day: these were from 2001, with Kurt Busiek and Erik Larsen writing, and Larsen doing most of the art. (Ron Frenz and Al Vey take #8, while Sal Buscema and Al Gordon provide inks on #7 and #6 respectively.) The original four Defenders--Dr. Strange, Namor, the Hulk, and the Silver Surfer--had been cursed by an old foe, Yandroth: against their will, they were often teleported to potentially world-ending catastrophes. Although the Surfer didn't always appear, the other three were getting a little sick of it: Namor was in the middle of trying to reclaim his kingdom from Attuma, Dr. Strange was finding it difficult to concentrate when he could instantly be elsewhere, and the Hulk was not at his smartest at this point.

Joined by their former teammates Nighthawk, Hellcat, and Valkyrie--all of whom are much more enthusiastic about being Defenders than the others--the four struggle to break the curse, but there may be more to it than appeared on the surface. In fact, the plotline would be wrapped up with a different title on the book,
the Order: I don't think Larsen did any art for those six issues, and I remember it as being much less comedic.
Defenders #8 also features an unusual cover blurb: "The Worst Comic Ever Produced" from
Comics International. Geez, I liked the issues I read...here's a link to an old
CBR interview with Busiek, which mentions Larsen leaving for health reasons, but also describes Nighthawk, Hellcat, and Valkyrie pretty much like I did above! I wonder if I read that interview back in 2001...
0 Yorumlar